Went to the wood today, incredibly hot and humid after last nights thunderstorms, cut up one tree that was already down, felled another one. Then removed some old barbed wire near the well which now has no water in it. Then removed a large Rhododendron bush and cut down a Rowan which was growing too close to a young Beech which I wish to preserve.
First of all I cut out a little wedge on the side I wanted the tree to fall, as per the instructions from Sthil.
Then I care fully cut a horizontal from the other side. I know I should be wearing goggles and will purchase some. And it is now on the move.
Then it started to fall in the right direction.
However it got caught up on some other trees, predictably.
I tried a little gentle persuasion with a normal saw but that made no difference.
So I got a rope round it and gave it a tug.
Several tugs later and it was down.
My first tree felled, only about 800 more to go.
Then I began to chop it up.